17.2.09

Avrei potuto scriverlo io, questo post

"Are Horse People Crazy? or Just Obsessed?
Let’s face it, for many of us, horses are an obsession. We’ve loved them since childhood, dreamed about them, read about them, spend every spare cent on them, and devote hours and hours of time to them. I’ve always enjoyed Cookie McClung’s articles in the Chronicle of the Horse, later collected into several books — Horsefolk are Different and Horsefolk are Still Different are the two on my shelf– because I could completely relate to her stories and the way she’d rearranged her life (and her family’s life) to foxhunt. My husband has found me chuckling over them several times but never finds the stories funny; rather, he shakes his head because he cannot understand how my passion for horses has lasted since childhood. My parents certainly hoped I’d outgrow it!
I do believe that having a passion in your life is, for the most part, a good thing. The time I spend with my horses, both riding them and caring for them, is usually relaxing and rejuvenating. The total focus that is required when I ride is one of the few times during the day when I’m not multi-tasking in my brain, trying to solve business problems and figure out what to cook for dinner. When I ride, I am almost in a meditative state. If I haven’t ridden for several days, I get irritable and cross. Usually, at that point my family begs me to go to the barn!
There’s been a lot written about the special bond that exists between humans and horses; a partnership that started when horses were more integral to our daily lives. But I think that what equestrians experience today is different. Our horses are more like pets (or in some cases, children) with whom we share an adventure. There’s a thrill to riding a horse that doesn’t diminish with age and a sense of freedom and joy that is unique to my riding experience.
I hear people say that riding is less expensive than therapy. I’m not sure that’s necessarily true, but I would wholeheartedly agree that it’s a lot more fun
."

(Mannaggia, sono di nuovo in crisi di astinenzaaaa!)